Skip to main content

Are You in Pain?

I think a lot of people look at how I walk and think I am in pain or they look at how my fingers go in all sorts of directions and think they are in pain. Well here's the truth...

Nope.

 On a daily basis I am usually not in pain.

 I feel like a normal person but here's the thing with Cerebral Palsy, it affects your muscles.

So where I do get pain is in the tightness of my muscles. That is why it is no joke to me when I say I need to be consistent with yoga or I need to stretch every night. I know when I have not stretched lately because the back of my muscles feel like they are pulling in opposite directions when I bend down to touch my toes. That is why it is a constant goal of mine to stretch every night because otherwise it will start affecting how I walk and will make me walk more on my toes than I already do.

As for my fingers. Yeah... I never get pain or tightness. They just look wacky and bend in all sorts of directions but thats just how they roll.

Also, let me tell you one cool thing about having CP is your muscles work twice maybe even 3 times as much as an average person. So during the day or when I work out i burn way more calories than you (ha!). Pretty cool huh?

I think that is just another miracle from God. Yes having a disability is hard but He reveals little pieces of evidence that show me he is watching over me. I think it is QUITE the blessing to not be in pain most of the days. I mean yes it does hurt when I am stretching out those muscles but I would rather deal with that for 10 minutes than be in pain for 24 hours.

You gotta rejoice in the little things when it comes to living a life with CP :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was tak...

So What Did You Do In Kenya?

Jambo!! I am made it back from a life changing trip in Kenya! I will be posting a few blog posts about stories that happened there but first I wanted to give you all an overview/timeline of what I did everyday over there July 7 - We landed at 2 in the morning! As we are all waiting to get our luggage we notice that no new luggage is coming out. Hmmmm what is wrong?? Yeah well all 90  of us lost  our luggage. Our flight out of LAX was delayed which made us have to rush to our next plane in Turkey. The airport personnel decided they did not have time to transfer our luggage to the next plan which ended up for us not getting our luggage. We got like an hour of sleep and then we had to wake up and start our day. We went to pangani which is the main school we worked at. We were greeted and had an opening ceremony from all of the kids. Then we got to take a social worker and walk around the Mathare Valley. We were able to go into one of the shanty's and pray over a sick girl ...

What Does It Mean to Have CP?

You know this month is CP awareness month so I thought it would be fitting to write about what I feel everyday..So here we go When you wake up and get out of bed and think man my leg muscles are tight. When you walk into a store and you get the looks. The looks of curiosity, looks of wow that girl sure walks different, looks that make you feel like you just don't fit in. When you go to pay and you are struggling getting that money or credit card out and you start to blush because you know that cashier or the person behind you is thinking "that poor girl". When you are asked to repeat yourself 2-3 times because that person can't understand you and you just want to say never mind. When you have to buy new shoes more often than normal because you ruined the toe part of your shoe or you have a hole on the bottom due to walking toe-heel instead of heel-toe. When you have to use adaptive tools like a button hook. When you can't open a water bottle or you spill your dr...