Skip to main content

4 days left..

I decided to take a little break from writing my Masters paper and write a little reflection about this school year.

Here I am 4 days left of school (not Masters, work school). 4 days left of being a Kindergarten teacher. 4 days left of being in that little portable.

When I say this year was hard I am not exaggerating. These were the hardest 10 months I have ever had in this life so far. I honestly do not think I have cried so much before. I have cried from exhaustion, frustration, sadness, and just cried because I did not know what else to do. I knew when I signed up for my Masters that it was going to be a challenge but combine that with a challenging class equals a rough time.

It's where you wake up in the morning and look in the mirror to find the bags under your eyes even deeper. Where you drink more caffeine than you do water and you drink a Redbull at 5 pm and can still fall asleep at 10 pm because you are so exhausted. Where the question of how are you becomes almost laughable because you are so tired you cannot even put it to words. Where you feel guilty sitting and watching a tv show because you should be writing a paper.

HOWEVER
As hard as this year has been I have learned SO much. I have learned what an AMAZING support system I have from my family, friends, and coworkers who have come along side me and encouraged me. I am not a person who gives up but all of these individuals offered me the encouragement I needed to keep striving. I honestly am so overwhelmingly blessed by each of the individuals God has placed in my life because they listened to me, were okay if I could not be there for an event because of homework or stress, and knew how to cheer me up. So I thank you for all your support my dear friends and family.

I have also learned what an extraordinary God I serve. He gave me the strength when I thought I had none. He gave me the joy when I was so down. So many days He gave me to energy when I thought I had no energy left. Most importantly it was Him who has given me this amazing job and this amazing opportunity to further my education because as much as I felt so exhausted these 10 months I am truly grateful to be living out my dream of being a special education teacher and I am extremely grateful to be a person living with a disability and knocking down those perspectives that those who have a disability can't succeed. So in the midst of the tears I smile because everyday my God is good and everyday is a new opportunity to make a difference in this life and everyday holds value to honor and be a light for the Lord.

You truly never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have. So yes I have made mistakes and struggled a lot these last 10 months but I have accomplished another school year with my awesome 9 kiddos and have lived another school year living my dream.

So cheers to the last 4 days of being a Kindergarten teacher and cheers to the next adventure on being a 5/6 grade teacher, and cheers to 2 more weeks until I am a Master, and cheers to an amazing God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was tak...

So What Did You Do In Kenya?

Jambo!! I am made it back from a life changing trip in Kenya! I will be posting a few blog posts about stories that happened there but first I wanted to give you all an overview/timeline of what I did everyday over there July 7 - We landed at 2 in the morning! As we are all waiting to get our luggage we notice that no new luggage is coming out. Hmmmm what is wrong?? Yeah well all 90  of us lost  our luggage. Our flight out of LAX was delayed which made us have to rush to our next plane in Turkey. The airport personnel decided they did not have time to transfer our luggage to the next plan which ended up for us not getting our luggage. We got like an hour of sleep and then we had to wake up and start our day. We went to pangani which is the main school we worked at. We were greeted and had an opening ceremony from all of the kids. Then we got to take a social worker and walk around the Mathare Valley. We were able to go into one of the shanty's and pray over a sick girl ...

What Does It Mean to Have CP?

You know this month is CP awareness month so I thought it would be fitting to write about what I feel everyday..So here we go When you wake up and get out of bed and think man my leg muscles are tight. When you walk into a store and you get the looks. The looks of curiosity, looks of wow that girl sure walks different, looks that make you feel like you just don't fit in. When you go to pay and you are struggling getting that money or credit card out and you start to blush because you know that cashier or the person behind you is thinking "that poor girl". When you are asked to repeat yourself 2-3 times because that person can't understand you and you just want to say never mind. When you have to buy new shoes more often than normal because you ruined the toe part of your shoe or you have a hole on the bottom due to walking toe-heel instead of heel-toe. When you have to use adaptive tools like a button hook. When you can't open a water bottle or you spill your dr...