Skip to main content

Update on this blessing called Student Teaching

Hello strangers! I know its been a while since my last post and this is because I am so busy I don't have time to sit down and just write. So I wanted to catch you up on this whole student teaching experience...

Do you ever have days where you think about what is going on in your life and how God showers his blessings over you? It is always my drive to and from school that I think about what my hopes for the day are and what the day turns out to be. Almost everyday my eyes get welled up with tears because i am in such awe of the blessing of being able to do what I want and having my dreams come true.

in the beginning of this student teaching i did a lot of questioning. questioning if i was good enough, if the kids will ever like me, if i will end up hating this experience, etc. it makes me wonder why do i question God? He always provides and blows our expectations that i have learned more and more to not worry (whiich is really hard).

sure some days these group of students push my buttons and sometimes i am at a lost with what to do (i learn something new everyday). but then there are other days where that one student gives you a hug or the tell you that you are a good teacher or their favorite teacher (which i immediately want to cry). those are the days that triumph over the bad days. to know that what you are doing is making an impact. those are the days where you get in your car on the drive home and just cry over the sense of joy.

it also makes me think in the beginning these students saw me as a stranger with a very visible disability to being their teacher that is like any other teacher. oh man i could go on and on about my students but the last thought that comes to my mind is i am the one that is supposed to be teaching these kids but in reality these kids are teaching me and challenging me to be the best teacher i can be. to say i am blessed is an understatement because the Lord sure knew what he was doing when he picked this classroom for me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does It Mean to Have CP?

You know this month is CP awareness month so I thought it would be fitting to write about what I feel everyday..So here we go When you wake up and get out of bed and think man my leg muscles are tight. When you walk into a store and you get the looks. The looks of curiosity, looks of wow that girl sure walks different, looks that make you feel like you just don't fit in. When you go to pay and you are struggling getting that money or credit card out and you start to blush because you know that cashier or the person behind you is thinking "that poor girl". When you are asked to repeat yourself 2-3 times because that person can't understand you and you just want to say never mind. When you have to buy new shoes more often than normal because you ruined the toe part of your shoe or you have a hole on the bottom due to walking toe-heel instead of heel-toe. When you have to use adaptive tools like a button hook. When you can't open a water bottle or you spill your dr...

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was tak...

So What Did You Do In Kenya?

Jambo!! I am made it back from a life changing trip in Kenya! I will be posting a few blog posts about stories that happened there but first I wanted to give you all an overview/timeline of what I did everyday over there July 7 - We landed at 2 in the morning! As we are all waiting to get our luggage we notice that no new luggage is coming out. Hmmmm what is wrong?? Yeah well all 90  of us lost  our luggage. Our flight out of LAX was delayed which made us have to rush to our next plane in Turkey. The airport personnel decided they did not have time to transfer our luggage to the next plan which ended up for us not getting our luggage. We got like an hour of sleep and then we had to wake up and start our day. We went to pangani which is the main school we worked at. We were greeted and had an opening ceremony from all of the kids. Then we got to take a social worker and walk around the Mathare Valley. We were able to go into one of the shanty's and pray over a sick girl ...