Skip to main content

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21?

This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life. 

Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was taken away (hot yoga at home by yourself following a screen does not work). Then as life has slowly gotten back to normal my body is not what it used to be. I developed sciatica and my body is out of shape. 

Now I must say my sciatica has gotten better these past two weeks because I am on summer break and so I am not driving as much, I am not stressed, I am back to hot yoga and back to walking but I need something else..My body is still off. 

About two weeks ago my mom and I were in a shopping center and saw this place called Stretchlab. At first I thought it was a yoga place but we decided to go in and check it out. It is a place where they literally just stretch you. My mom and I did a trial session which was for 25 minutes. What they do reminds me so much of the physical therapy I used to do. They have a machine that does a body scan. It was pretty accurate and my whole left side lit up because it is compensating for my right side sciatica. These are the kinds of therapy that yoga does not provide. I went back in for a 50 minute stretch and she worked a lot with my shoulders and neck, which I did not realize were so tight. I felt like a new person after.

So here is the thing again that I had a discussion with my parents about. I could either do this Stretch Lab and pay out of pocket or try to find a physical therapist that knows CP and that focuses more on stretching. I chose the Stretch lab because that is what I need for my body...stretching.

It is incredibly hard to find people that specialize in CP. Doctors are hard to find as well. Now that I am getting older I realize what truly means to find the priorities in my body and to advocate for what I need. I just wish there was an easier way to find services to help me.

Comments

  1. I'm so sorry you were so negatively affected by the shutdown, but thankful you have found help. You're an amazing advocate for yourself and have courage to push yourself. I can't help but think of those with CP who have never been taught nor encouraged to advocate for themselves. Turning 21 must be full of mixed emotions for those differently abled. Thanks for sharing your journey. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! Yes I am very blessed that my parents taught me to be my own advocate and seeking out what is best for my body.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Acceptance

For those of you that follow me on Instagram or Facebook you have probably seen my yoga videos that I have been putting up. On the recent one I had a friend comment about how much she loved my openness and confidence. This really got me thinking about what a road I have been on to get me to where I am at today. Back when I was a senior in high school I got nominated the most inspirational senior. Now when you are nominated for this award you have to write a speech and make the speech in front of the whole school at an assembly. I remember when I first found out I started bawling. Like what? People think I'm inspiring? At that time I was NOT comfortable speaking about my disability. In fact I couldn't even read the speech my principal had to because I was a wreck and was far from confident in myself. Even halfway through college I was not comfortable mentioning my disability. It was like the BIG elephant in the room. It made me nervous and I thought people already see that I

A Whole New Decade

 It has been over a year since I have been on here but I thought that my upcoming birthday of turning 30 was fitting to write a post about this last decade of my life. Especially since this blog has been a part of my 20s. So I thought I would write a letter to my 20 year old self.. Hey girl, It is me, the older, stronger, more independent version of yourself. I know right now you are so excited because you just got your driver's license which is the first step to independence and knocking down a boundary that people said you could not break through. But girl that is just the start. You truly have no idea how God is going to move you to become such a successful independent woman. I know right now you are worried that no one is going to want to hire you for being a special education teacher. I can tell you it is not going to be easy. You are going to have to fight for your abilities but the right principal is going to see you and believe in you and give you that chance because here w