Skip to main content

What Exactly Does it Mean to be Inspirational?

I decided I needed to get back to this blogging thing because doing this student teaching life i realize how much i am learning constantly every day about myself and about others.

last week one of my students told me "my mom told me i need to look up to you because you are an inspiration". hmmm there's that word again inspiration.  you know I've never realized how greatly that word is used around me until i was honored with the title of the most inspirational senior at my high school but the more i get called inspirational the more questions arise in my head:
what exactly makes me inspirational? is it because i go through life with a disability? because if it is that then i don't know if i want to be called inspirational.

according to the dictionary to inspire is to fill someone with the urge or ability to do or feel something. 

so then i tend to think to myself what exactly is it that i do or am to fill someone with the urge to do something because you see to me i live my life just like you but just a tiny bit different. i don't want you to call me inspirational just because i live an ordinary life but with a disability. because lets be real I've got 99 problems and my disability is just one of them (said from one of my favorite comedians).

the one thing that does come to my mind is that just maybe you see my life and think if she could do it through her own way and through her own struggles than i can do it. but in all honesty i don't want to be called inspirational due to my disability. if my students are inspired by me i want it to not be because i am an adult with a disability living a quote on quote ordinary life but i want it to be because they see that even though i struggle i keep pushing on to pursue my dreams. it doesn't matter if we have an inside or outside struggle but what matters is you keep pushing on to be the best you can be

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was tak...

What Does It Mean to Have CP?

You know this month is CP awareness month so I thought it would be fitting to write about what I feel everyday..So here we go When you wake up and get out of bed and think man my leg muscles are tight. When you walk into a store and you get the looks. The looks of curiosity, looks of wow that girl sure walks different, looks that make you feel like you just don't fit in. When you go to pay and you are struggling getting that money or credit card out and you start to blush because you know that cashier or the person behind you is thinking "that poor girl". When you are asked to repeat yourself 2-3 times because that person can't understand you and you just want to say never mind. When you have to buy new shoes more often than normal because you ruined the toe part of your shoe or you have a hole on the bottom due to walking toe-heel instead of heel-toe. When you have to use adaptive tools like a button hook. When you can't open a water bottle or you spill your dr...

So What Did You Do In Kenya?

Jambo!! I am made it back from a life changing trip in Kenya! I will be posting a few blog posts about stories that happened there but first I wanted to give you all an overview/timeline of what I did everyday over there July 7 - We landed at 2 in the morning! As we are all waiting to get our luggage we notice that no new luggage is coming out. Hmmmm what is wrong?? Yeah well all 90  of us lost  our luggage. Our flight out of LAX was delayed which made us have to rush to our next plane in Turkey. The airport personnel decided they did not have time to transfer our luggage to the next plan which ended up for us not getting our luggage. We got like an hour of sleep and then we had to wake up and start our day. We went to pangani which is the main school we worked at. We were greeted and had an opening ceremony from all of the kids. Then we got to take a social worker and walk around the Mathare Valley. We were able to go into one of the shanty's and pray over a sick girl ...