Skip to main content

Acceptance

For those of you that follow me on Instagram or Facebook you have probably seen my yoga videos that I have been putting up. On the recent one I had a friend comment about how much she loved my openness and confidence. This really got me thinking about what a road I have been on to get me to where I am at today.

Back when I was a senior in high school I got nominated the most inspirational senior. Now when you are nominated for this award you have to write a speech and make the speech in front of the whole school at an assembly. I remember when I first found out I started bawling. Like what? People think I'm inspiring? At that time I was NOT comfortable speaking about my disability. In fact I couldn't even read the speech my principal had to because I was a wreck and was far from confident in myself.

Even halfway through college I was not comfortable mentioning my disability. It was like the BIG elephant in the room. It made me nervous and I thought people already see that I am different or walk weirdly why do I need to discuss it?

FAST FORWARD
To where I am now. Blogging about my disabled adventures, posting videos of my yoga journey. Even posting videos of myself talking. I would have NEVER and I mean NEVER have thought I would get to this point if you knew me back in high school. I mean back then even when I saw myself in a video I would cringe and turn away. I didn't want to admit that I was different let alone see proof of it on a video.

It just reminds me of the phrase the Lord makes everything beautiful in its time. Yes it took time to get to where I am at and to be honest with you I don't really know how I got to the acceptance that I have today. I think part of it is I have changed my perspective. Ever since I became a special needs teacher I have seen so much shame and trying to hide our imperfections. I have realized that more people need to see what it is like to have a disability. More people need to know that it is okay to ask questions and to wonder and that in all honesty we would rather have you ask then stare or gossip. 

So yes I still watch the yoga videos I post over and over again but I do that to make myself realize that I am beautiful and I am capable of achieving my goals. Yes I may look a little different but you know what the Lord has made me beautiful in HIS image and that is all that matters. Also it is my hope that through my openness of discussing my triumphs and downfalls that all of you realize that we disabled individuals just want to be seen and just want others to understand we are just like you.

So thank you for all the beautiful comments you pour over me because it really is what keeps me  going and what keeps me so open and willing to share my story. 

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing your experience. I know you're helping so many others grow in their acceptance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole, I have just read you blog from a link on Todd Williams Post. I am a PT and mom to Kellan, my eight year old son who has spastic diplegia. Your words resonate beautifully and I thank you for your blog.Keep on sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was taken away (

A Whole New Decade

 It has been over a year since I have been on here but I thought that my upcoming birthday of turning 30 was fitting to write a post about this last decade of my life. Especially since this blog has been a part of my 20s. So I thought I would write a letter to my 20 year old self.. Hey girl, It is me, the older, stronger, more independent version of yourself. I know right now you are so excited because you just got your driver's license which is the first step to independence and knocking down a boundary that people said you could not break through. But girl that is just the start. You truly have no idea how God is going to move you to become such a successful independent woman. I know right now you are worried that no one is going to want to hire you for being a special education teacher. I can tell you it is not going to be easy. You are going to have to fight for your abilities but the right principal is going to see you and believe in you and give you that chance because here w