Skip to main content

How 6 months can change your life

Looking back on the last six months of this year it has been filled with the unknown, ups and downs, but has truly been the best six months of my life. I keep thinking back to that first week of student teaching and doubting myself about being able to teach a 5/6 grade SDC. I was so focused on the position of being an RSP teacher and that was all I wanted. Then i get placed in a SDC and i was like oh no i can't do this. Well boy oh boy am I glad I stuck it through and trusted the plans of the Lord.

These students of mine have truly become my children. I mean how can they not be? you are with them from the crack of dawn into the afternoon. You are there for every struggle, melt down, happy moments, and moments where the light bulb goes off. These kids have accepted me and see me as any other teacher and I could not have asked for a better class.

Additionally, I was able to sub other classes during this time and even those kiddos accepted me and treated me with the respect of any other teacher once they understood what was "wrong" with me. I have had multiple teachers believe in me and trust me with their classroom and that action alone speaks volumes. They really believe that I am a person that is able to teach their kids. How incredible of a thought is that??

In the end, I am the teacher I am today because of the teachers and the students who have had patience with me and supported me through this whole process. The Lord has truly blessed me and these students and teachers will forever have a piece of my heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does It Mean to Have CP?

You know this month is CP awareness month so I thought it would be fitting to write about what I feel everyday..So here we go When you wake up and get out of bed and think man my leg muscles are tight. When you walk into a store and you get the looks. The looks of curiosity, looks of wow that girl sure walks different, looks that make you feel like you just don't fit in. When you go to pay and you are struggling getting that money or credit card out and you start to blush because you know that cashier or the person behind you is thinking "that poor girl". When you are asked to repeat yourself 2-3 times because that person can't understand you and you just want to say never mind. When you have to buy new shoes more often than normal because you ruined the toe part of your shoe or you have a hole on the bottom due to walking toe-heel instead of heel-toe. When you have to use adaptive tools like a button hook. When you can't open a water bottle or you spill your dr...

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was tak...

So What Did You Do In Kenya?

Jambo!! I am made it back from a life changing trip in Kenya! I will be posting a few blog posts about stories that happened there but first I wanted to give you all an overview/timeline of what I did everyday over there July 7 - We landed at 2 in the morning! As we are all waiting to get our luggage we notice that no new luggage is coming out. Hmmmm what is wrong?? Yeah well all 90  of us lost  our luggage. Our flight out of LAX was delayed which made us have to rush to our next plane in Turkey. The airport personnel decided they did not have time to transfer our luggage to the next plan which ended up for us not getting our luggage. We got like an hour of sleep and then we had to wake up and start our day. We went to pangani which is the main school we worked at. We were greeted and had an opening ceremony from all of the kids. Then we got to take a social worker and walk around the Mathare Valley. We were able to go into one of the shanty's and pray over a sick girl ...