Skip to main content

Never say Never

It's funny to me when I think about my life and the journey of becoming a special education teacher. I used to always say "Oh I could never be a kindergarten teacher.They are just too tiny for me". Welp in this world don't ever say never because look at where i am now... A kindergarten teacher. As I began to reflect on this thought I was pointed back to a few things that have happened over time.

I remember when I studied abroad in South Africa. I worked with an organization that mentored teachers and worked with the youth in the area. My team got placed at a preschool. I didn't know how I would feel working with that little of kids but they ended up taking a piece of my heart. At the end of the journey, the leader of our team ended up saying that  my nickname should be "mom" because I cared for the little ones and my team in a mom like manner. So you may be thinking well how does that have to do with being a kinder teacher now?... Well this week I ended up explaining to my family that being a kinder teacher is like being a mom. I still have to guide them by what is right or wrong, make them eat "five more bites", clean up their messy faces and hands, etc. Can't you see the full circle? God was just giving me a hint back in my South Africa days of what was to come.

Then on Friday, the kinder teachers and my principal were saying that kindergarten was where my home is and how they believe kinder is the right fit for me. I never thought that I would ever hear those words especially from coming from a 5/6th grade class last year.

In the end, like one of Justin Bieber's songs, never say never. It makes me realize how God prepares your heart for something that you would never expect. I love teaching kinder and my kiddos are the best thing that have happened to me. Thank you Lord for preparing me for a journey I never expected to be on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does It Mean to Have CP?

You know this month is CP awareness month so I thought it would be fitting to write about what I feel everyday..So here we go When you wake up and get out of bed and think man my leg muscles are tight. When you walk into a store and you get the looks. The looks of curiosity, looks of wow that girl sure walks different, looks that make you feel like you just don't fit in. When you go to pay and you are struggling getting that money or credit card out and you start to blush because you know that cashier or the person behind you is thinking "that poor girl". When you are asked to repeat yourself 2-3 times because that person can't understand you and you just want to say never mind. When you have to buy new shoes more often than normal because you ruined the toe part of your shoe or you have a hole on the bottom due to walking toe-heel instead of heel-toe. When you have to use adaptive tools like a button hook. When you can't open a water bottle or you spill your dr...

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was tak...

So What Did You Do In Kenya?

Jambo!! I am made it back from a life changing trip in Kenya! I will be posting a few blog posts about stories that happened there but first I wanted to give you all an overview/timeline of what I did everyday over there July 7 - We landed at 2 in the morning! As we are all waiting to get our luggage we notice that no new luggage is coming out. Hmmmm what is wrong?? Yeah well all 90  of us lost  our luggage. Our flight out of LAX was delayed which made us have to rush to our next plane in Turkey. The airport personnel decided they did not have time to transfer our luggage to the next plan which ended up for us not getting our luggage. We got like an hour of sleep and then we had to wake up and start our day. We went to pangani which is the main school we worked at. We were greeted and had an opening ceremony from all of the kids. Then we got to take a social worker and walk around the Mathare Valley. We were able to go into one of the shanty's and pray over a sick girl ...