Skip to main content

What Teaching is Really Like

I don't think anyone or anything can prepare you for your first year of teaching. So many people like to think teaching is such a sweet and fun career (which it is!!!) but they don't realize the amount of work that each teacher puts into their kids and their classroom. This is quite possibly the hardest thing I have ever done. I spend 10 hour days at my school and I feel like I am never satisfied because there is always more to be done. I go to trainings and sit there overwhelmed because I want to do all of the materials they give me but don't know how to implement it. So many things but not enough hours or energy to do it.

Some days I feel like a failure as a teacher because I always feel like I could be doing more. I look at other teachers and see all they are doing and how wonderful their classroom is and I just feel like I can never be as good as them. I'm not doing near as much amazing things as other teachers. My mind just races everyday with the things I should be doing instead of the things I am doing. I feel guilty because I feel like I am not giving my students the education they deserve. So then I go home and feel frustrated, overwhelmed, stressed, emotional, etc. Is that the way I should be feeling? No! Not at all. The truth is there is always room to improve and yes I can always be doing something else but I am working with my kiddos and they are making progress. Instead I should be thinking...

About how amazing of a school, staff, district, and kids the Lord has provided me with. The staff and mentors that I have gotten to know are such a blessing to me. They consistently support, encourage and love me. On the days I want to scream, they let me scream. On the days I want to cry, there is always a shoulder to lean on. On the days I want to celebrate there is someone there to celebrate with me. I don't think I have ever felt so many people believe in me and encourage me as I have with this school. I remember praying to the Lord when I found out I had an interview for this school. It was my 15th interview and I just remembered saying... Lord please let this be the one. Let the individuals have an open mindset to accepting me for who I am and not judge me for my disability. Let this be the place where I can feel comfortable to go to everyday. Well, the Lord sure did deliver on what I asked.

The Lord placed me at this school and with these kiddos for a reason. Sometimes I do question His reasoning but like a friend told me a few days ago. I am the hands and feet of Jesus to these kiddos. I need to push aside my feelings and remember that these kiddos trust me and I need to love them each day just like the Lord loves us each day amongst all of our ugliness. The Lord is consistently telling me to have patience and look at tiny positive among a day that you want to flush down the drain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does It Mean to Have CP?

You know this month is CP awareness month so I thought it would be fitting to write about what I feel everyday..So here we go When you wake up and get out of bed and think man my leg muscles are tight. When you walk into a store and you get the looks. The looks of curiosity, looks of wow that girl sure walks different, looks that make you feel like you just don't fit in. When you go to pay and you are struggling getting that money or credit card out and you start to blush because you know that cashier or the person behind you is thinking "that poor girl". When you are asked to repeat yourself 2-3 times because that person can't understand you and you just want to say never mind. When you have to buy new shoes more often than normal because you ruined the toe part of your shoe or you have a hole on the bottom due to walking toe-heel instead of heel-toe. When you have to use adaptive tools like a button hook. When you can't open a water bottle or you spill your dr...

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was tak...

So What Did You Do In Kenya?

Jambo!! I am made it back from a life changing trip in Kenya! I will be posting a few blog posts about stories that happened there but first I wanted to give you all an overview/timeline of what I did everyday over there July 7 - We landed at 2 in the morning! As we are all waiting to get our luggage we notice that no new luggage is coming out. Hmmmm what is wrong?? Yeah well all 90  of us lost  our luggage. Our flight out of LAX was delayed which made us have to rush to our next plane in Turkey. The airport personnel decided they did not have time to transfer our luggage to the next plan which ended up for us not getting our luggage. We got like an hour of sleep and then we had to wake up and start our day. We went to pangani which is the main school we worked at. We were greeted and had an opening ceremony from all of the kids. Then we got to take a social worker and walk around the Mathare Valley. We were able to go into one of the shanty's and pray over a sick girl ...