Skip to main content

Just say YES -2016

The year of 2016 I call my say YES year and let me tell you why.

1.
I said YES to traveling by myself not 1 not 2 but 3 times! Started off traveling to Colorado, then to Sacramento (probably the easiest trip of the 3), and then to New Zealand (the scariest of them all). Let me tell you that when you travel by yourself you learn a whole lot. I learned the essence of trusting in yourself. I had to put faith in myself that I could do this and boy I did but with lots of praying! I also learned in not being afraid to ask for help and that people out there don't mind helping you lift your suitcase or telling you where to go. It taught me that I am a lot stronger than I thought and as long as I trust in myself that I would be successful.

2.
I said YES to another year of being a kindergarten special education teacher at my amazing elementary school. Nothing gives you the confidence than being asked to come back for another year at the same school for the same grade. I am completely and utterly blessed to be a teacher at my school. I work for the best principal and the best coworkers. This second year has been so different than my first year and I am learning to embrace my students in a different way than i did last year. I think you know you were called to be a teacher when you see your students every morning and you just want to cry of happiness because they bless you so much.

3.
I said YES to a new car that is much safer and more reliable than my other car (never get a ford focus. their transmissions are terrible)

4.
I watched my brother say YES to the woman of his dreams and now I get a fabulous big sister!

5.
Finally, I said YES to embracing the ugliness and the beauty of having a physical disability.. 2016 had made me feel empowered and joyful. I did things I never thought I would do like traveling across the country by myself and having a career. Starting this blog up again and talking about the ugliness but beauty of my disability has really brought me FREEDOM. I think ever since my post about talking differently and the love and freedom i have gotten from that post has been unreal.

I sit here today in this new year of 2017 ready to take of whatever God has planned for me. I am a person that has a disability but that does not define me and I deserve to live in the freedom of being the person I am in the inside and letting that shine through. 2016 taught me to not let my disability hold me back and to run forth with that freedom that I am a 24 year old just trying to embrace every moment of everyday that I get here on this earth.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does It Mean to Have CP?

You know this month is CP awareness month so I thought it would be fitting to write about what I feel everyday..So here we go When you wake up and get out of bed and think man my leg muscles are tight. When you walk into a store and you get the looks. The looks of curiosity, looks of wow that girl sure walks different, looks that make you feel like you just don't fit in. When you go to pay and you are struggling getting that money or credit card out and you start to blush because you know that cashier or the person behind you is thinking "that poor girl". When you are asked to repeat yourself 2-3 times because that person can't understand you and you just want to say never mind. When you have to buy new shoes more often than normal because you ruined the toe part of your shoe or you have a hole on the bottom due to walking toe-heel instead of heel-toe. When you have to use adaptive tools like a button hook. When you can't open a water bottle or you spill your dr...

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was tak...

So What Did You Do In Kenya?

Jambo!! I am made it back from a life changing trip in Kenya! I will be posting a few blog posts about stories that happened there but first I wanted to give you all an overview/timeline of what I did everyday over there July 7 - We landed at 2 in the morning! As we are all waiting to get our luggage we notice that no new luggage is coming out. Hmmmm what is wrong?? Yeah well all 90  of us lost  our luggage. Our flight out of LAX was delayed which made us have to rush to our next plane in Turkey. The airport personnel decided they did not have time to transfer our luggage to the next plan which ended up for us not getting our luggage. We got like an hour of sleep and then we had to wake up and start our day. We went to pangani which is the main school we worked at. We were greeted and had an opening ceremony from all of the kids. Then we got to take a social worker and walk around the Mathare Valley. We were able to go into one of the shanty's and pray over a sick girl ...