Skip to main content

Little Q and A

A friend of mine is doing a research paper on CP and asked me questions about it. I thought it would be beneficial for all of you to read the answers as well. Give a little insight of what I may not cover in my blog posts! :) 

What classification of CP do you have?
I have mild, spastic CP. It affects my whole body
What difficulties did you have when you were young (socially, physically, emotionally, etc.)?
Well this is a hefty question lol. Let’s start with physically – obviously I could not do the things that other kids could. I couldn’t run as fast as others or play any sports very well. I struggled with fine motor skills so I had to constantly get help or have adaptations.
Emotionally/socially: I was blessed with good friends and I never truly got bullied which is very rare so socially I felt okay. Emotionally, not so much. I struggled a lot with why I was different. I didn’t like not being able to do things that my friends could do. I hated getting stared at in public like I was some alien. I spent nights crying because I just didn’t understand why I had to be different and why there is no cure.
Were you offered different types of treatment? (Therapy, surgery, chiropractor, botox..) Did you participate in any of these?
Several different types of treatment:
- I did occupational and physical therapy 2-3 times a week. When I got into junior high and high school it was more like 1 every 6 months for a check up and that continued until I was 21.
- I did therapeutic horseback riding from 2nd grade all the way to high school
- When I was in 5th grade there was a therapy that was developed by Poland astronauts for when astronauts came back to earth how to get acclimated to gravity. Then a therapists decided to try it with people who have physical limitations. It was an intensive therapy but was so good for me and really worked on strength and how I walk.
- I have been taking medication since high school to help with controlling my muscles.
When were you able to start walking? Any assistive devices? What were your challenges with this?
I started walking when I was two and I used a walker until about 1st grade. I had ankle braces from the time I started walking until 6th grade. My mom had a special stroller for me until about 4th grade and then I got a wheelchair. The stroller and wheelchair were to help me with long distances so anytime I went to the mall or an amusement park I would use it because I would get fatigued so easily. I used an Alphasmart when in elementary school because it was easier and faster for me to type my schoolwork than to write it. My hands get easily fatigued and tired when I write. Once I got into high school I used a laptop in all my classes. I used and still use a button hook to help me button the buttons on my shirt because sometimes those buttons are just way too tiny for my wacky hands to button.
What level of independence did the doctors predict for you vs how independent you are have become?
My mom said they actually thought I would be pretty independent due to me having a more mild form of CP but I don’t think they predicted that I would be so independent like having a career or being able to travel abroad independently.
Role of your parents and siblings?
Oh my goodness my parents played a huge role in what I have become. They did a lot of research to get me the best therapies and make sure I would become the best I could be. My brothers were always supportive of me and helped me in the best ways that they could.
Outlook on life when you were a young child vs. now?
Um my perspective on life has definitely changed. I was more negative and I always dreamed on having an independent life as a child but I never really thought it would happen. I look at my life now and I am so blessed. I do not think of having a disability as something that is a negative part of me. I embrace every little challenge involved. I mean lets be real I do have days where I’m like this sucks but those are minimal. I now see my disability as a way to help others and to give them an insight of living differently. I connect more with my students because I can relate to being different than the normal. I think I see my life with a lot more joy and possibilities than I did when I was younger.
What should parents know?
I think parents should know its okay to be scared and nervous. I see it when I look at the parents of my students. You don’t quite know what you are doing and if you are doing the right thing. But I wanna say it is important to do your research, find out all you can, talk to others who have CP and see what has worked for them. Test out different therapies. Most importantly, just love on your child and make sure they feel like they are worthy and being different is beautiful.

What should other children know??

They should know that life is hard with a disability. You are going to face some major obstacles and you are going to be judged so many times that you think it will never end. But dig down deep and find that inner courage to fight down those negative people and to prove that you are a mighty warrior and you are worthy of living your dreams. Also as much as you might hate it you need to go through those therapies and do what they say because it will help you in the long run

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does It Mean to Have CP?

You know this month is CP awareness month so I thought it would be fitting to write about what I feel everyday..So here we go When you wake up and get out of bed and think man my leg muscles are tight. When you walk into a store and you get the looks. The looks of curiosity, looks of wow that girl sure walks different, looks that make you feel like you just don't fit in. When you go to pay and you are struggling getting that money or credit card out and you start to blush because you know that cashier or the person behind you is thinking "that poor girl". When you are asked to repeat yourself 2-3 times because that person can't understand you and you just want to say never mind. When you have to buy new shoes more often than normal because you ruined the toe part of your shoe or you have a hole on the bottom due to walking toe-heel instead of heel-toe. When you have to use adaptive tools like a button hook. When you can't open a water bottle or you spill your dr...

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was tak...

So What Did You Do In Kenya?

Jambo!! I am made it back from a life changing trip in Kenya! I will be posting a few blog posts about stories that happened there but first I wanted to give you all an overview/timeline of what I did everyday over there July 7 - We landed at 2 in the morning! As we are all waiting to get our luggage we notice that no new luggage is coming out. Hmmmm what is wrong?? Yeah well all 90  of us lost  our luggage. Our flight out of LAX was delayed which made us have to rush to our next plane in Turkey. The airport personnel decided they did not have time to transfer our luggage to the next plan which ended up for us not getting our luggage. We got like an hour of sleep and then we had to wake up and start our day. We went to pangani which is the main school we worked at. We were greeted and had an opening ceremony from all of the kids. Then we got to take a social worker and walk around the Mathare Valley. We were able to go into one of the shanty's and pray over a sick girl ...