Skip to main content

I am ME and I am Finally FREE to Be ME

Last week I had dinner with one of my best friends who has been through a lot of ups and downs of life with me. We were discussing about where our lives are at now and how at the age of 25 we have accomplished so much. Then I began to realize something. That I am at a point now just like the quote where I realize it is all happening. You know growing up I thought that I would be married at age 25. Well, that ain't happening but what is happening is freedom. You know those moments where you realize wow my God did have a plan that I never could imagine. 

You see this whole living on my own at age 25 is exactly what I needed in my life. Because now I not only realized that I could have my dream career that I have been fighting for the last 10 years of my life but I can also live independently. Maybe thats why I thought I'd be married already because I thought I would have to have someone to depend on and help me in my life because surely I can't do everything on my own. Ha! Now I realize I can with the Lord as my pillar of strength and trust.

In these last 5 years of having this blog I have said a lot about owning who you are and not letting your disability define you. But I truly don't think I wholeheartedly believed that. I think it is one thing I tried to convince myself of but inside I always had that fear that I couldn't do something or I would be judged for my disability. But let me tell you..NOW. right now. In this moment. I embrace who I am. I am a strong independent successful woman who happens to have a disability. Yes I have this disability and it is who I am and you can either love me or be afraid and not interested in knowing someone who is different that you. That is YOUR choice. Because what I have realized is that the Lord will bring me those people that will love me for who I am. I think I am at that point where I no longer have to prove myself. This is me and I am no longer going to hide behind a fake smile but rather enhance my smile because I am free.

This move to living on my own has only been a month but it has been a month of learning and loving this new side of life and thanking God for being faithful and letting me truly love myself and not needing approval anymore. This life is HAPPENING and I will rejoice in knowing that I am capable of reaching dreams I once doubted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does It Mean to Have CP?

You know this month is CP awareness month so I thought it would be fitting to write about what I feel everyday..So here we go When you wake up and get out of bed and think man my leg muscles are tight. When you walk into a store and you get the looks. The looks of curiosity, looks of wow that girl sure walks different, looks that make you feel like you just don't fit in. When you go to pay and you are struggling getting that money or credit card out and you start to blush because you know that cashier or the person behind you is thinking "that poor girl". When you are asked to repeat yourself 2-3 times because that person can't understand you and you just want to say never mind. When you have to buy new shoes more often than normal because you ruined the toe part of your shoe or you have a hole on the bottom due to walking toe-heel instead of heel-toe. When you have to use adaptive tools like a button hook. When you can't open a water bottle or you spill your dr...

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was tak...

So What Did You Do In Kenya?

Jambo!! I am made it back from a life changing trip in Kenya! I will be posting a few blog posts about stories that happened there but first I wanted to give you all an overview/timeline of what I did everyday over there July 7 - We landed at 2 in the morning! As we are all waiting to get our luggage we notice that no new luggage is coming out. Hmmmm what is wrong?? Yeah well all 90  of us lost  our luggage. Our flight out of LAX was delayed which made us have to rush to our next plane in Turkey. The airport personnel decided they did not have time to transfer our luggage to the next plan which ended up for us not getting our luggage. We got like an hour of sleep and then we had to wake up and start our day. We went to pangani which is the main school we worked at. We were greeted and had an opening ceremony from all of the kids. Then we got to take a social worker and walk around the Mathare Valley. We were able to go into one of the shanty's and pray over a sick girl ...