Skip to main content

From Shy Girl to Loud and Carefree

Do you ever have days, a week, or weeks where you notice the same thing popping up. Over the past two weeks I have been in conversations with 3 different sets of people and the same topic has popped up. What is this topic you may ask? It's the fact that this person typing this blog right now is so different from the girl back in high school or the girl from 4 years ago. You see the first person I had this conversation with I have known for 6 months, the next was my best friend I met in college, and the third was a group of girls I have known for two years. The two that have known me the shortest amount of time were shocked when I described myself from a while ago and the one from college completely agreed with me.

You see when I think about my high school self and college self I see a shy girl that didn't want to look anyone in the eye for fear that they would see  my disability and immediately not like me. Or fear that if I look them in the eye then they will want to ask questions about my disability and make me feel like an outcast. I appeared to be sweet and happy but on the inside I was screaming to be let out and for others to truly find me. I let my close family and friends find that person inside me but the person that you just met in conversation and pacing by would say hi and look down and be even more shaky than I already am (ha! imagine that). Isn't it funny how there are moments where you realize wow what a change.

Live the life you have always dreamed of
So here I am describing this shy little girl and now looking at how I am now. I am a loud, carefree you get what you get kind of girl filled with joy and embracing my lovely disability. You may ask when did this girl get let out of her cage? I cannot tell you the exact time but it was more of peeling back layer by layer. You see I gained more confidence after college when I got my first job and then by going on trips traveling abroad and then by moving out on my own. The more I began to break out of my comfort zone and start living for myself and for the purpose the Lord had for me the more I began realizing I need to not care what others think and I need to love who I am. 

There are haters out there and they sure are going to hate but I am going to love because if you don't love then you are going to hate. I hated my body and this ugly disability that I have but now I love this disability because it has allowed me to connect with people I never would have. I love this disability because it reminds others that we are all broken but you can learn to love your brokenness. I have learned that the people who love your brokenness are the kinds of people you need in your life. Those people who want to take advantage of your brokenness...well you can smile at them and walk away.. Because let me tell you my friend. YOU are beautiful. YOU are amazing. YOU can move mountains. & YOU should be confident in your brokenness...Oh and there are a group of people out there who are going to LOVE you for ALL that you are. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does It Mean to Have CP?

You know this month is CP awareness month so I thought it would be fitting to write about what I feel everyday..So here we go When you wake up and get out of bed and think man my leg muscles are tight. When you walk into a store and you get the looks. The looks of curiosity, looks of wow that girl sure walks different, looks that make you feel like you just don't fit in. When you go to pay and you are struggling getting that money or credit card out and you start to blush because you know that cashier or the person behind you is thinking "that poor girl". When you are asked to repeat yourself 2-3 times because that person can't understand you and you just want to say never mind. When you have to buy new shoes more often than normal because you ruined the toe part of your shoe or you have a hole on the bottom due to walking toe-heel instead of heel-toe. When you have to use adaptive tools like a button hook. When you can't open a water bottle or you spill your dr...

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was tak...

So What Did You Do In Kenya?

Jambo!! I am made it back from a life changing trip in Kenya! I will be posting a few blog posts about stories that happened there but first I wanted to give you all an overview/timeline of what I did everyday over there July 7 - We landed at 2 in the morning! As we are all waiting to get our luggage we notice that no new luggage is coming out. Hmmmm what is wrong?? Yeah well all 90  of us lost  our luggage. Our flight out of LAX was delayed which made us have to rush to our next plane in Turkey. The airport personnel decided they did not have time to transfer our luggage to the next plan which ended up for us not getting our luggage. We got like an hour of sleep and then we had to wake up and start our day. We went to pangani which is the main school we worked at. We were greeted and had an opening ceremony from all of the kids. Then we got to take a social worker and walk around the Mathare Valley. We were able to go into one of the shanty's and pray over a sick girl ...