Skip to main content

|| 2 0 1 4 ||

|| 2 0 1 4 ||
As i reflect on the year of 2014 two things come to mind: transitions and reality check. This year was a time of the unexpected. So let me take you through the main events and what i learned.

Graduated College
The time had finally come where i graduated from the most amazing university: Azusa Pacific University. This place easily became my new home and the time had come where i had to say goodbye. Especially goodbye to a life i have known for the past 16 years...school. This was the first transition of this year. It had been like every other summer where i move back home but then in august i would move back in with the most amazing girls...nope. When would i move out again? When am i going to see my best friends again? What job am i going to get? These were all the questions i had to deal with in this first transition. The period I would like to say The Unknown
Summer
Oh summer is usually a glorious time of reading books, tanning, and endless days. Well this summer was a little different. Here i was applying to a hundred jobs and going on job interviews trying to figure out what i wanted to do. Then i got a job!...but it turned out to not be the perfect fit and the period of The Unknown continued. The one enormous blessing that came out of this is well i got plenty of experience with the interview process and got to see how people view me as a person with a disability...Reality Check: not everyone believes in your abilities when you have a disability. also, i realized that i needed to switch my credential from moderate/severe to mild/moderate and boy am i so grateful for that realization because lets be real and matter of fact i realized i could not physically handle being with moderate/severe children and it would not have worked out.
Credential Program
Do you ever have moments where you are sitting in a class and think why am i learning this? I have definitely had those moments but being in these credential classes boy have i realized i am in the right field. i love the homework i get assigned and the lectures i receive. Yes, this is a whole different ball game by being in grad school but i sure do love it. This is a transition for the good and the better.
What Now?
This year has taught me to trust God more than anything because looking back at this year i sure did not expect anything that happened. I realized just how blessed i am by the experiences of this year. Yes there were dry spots, frustrations, many tears, and many moments of joy. I got to go on another mission trip to Puerto Rico, i got to encourage and be supported by my fellow friends and family, and i got to learn more about myself and the person i want to be. 
2015
This is going to be my big girl year. I will start student teaching (which i am very nervous/excited about). Hopefully, I will become a teacher officially this next year. But one thing i learned from this year is prepare to trust God for He has a plan that is much bigger than mine!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was taken away (

Acceptance

For those of you that follow me on Instagram or Facebook you have probably seen my yoga videos that I have been putting up. On the recent one I had a friend comment about how much she loved my openness and confidence. This really got me thinking about what a road I have been on to get me to where I am at today. Back when I was a senior in high school I got nominated the most inspirational senior. Now when you are nominated for this award you have to write a speech and make the speech in front of the whole school at an assembly. I remember when I first found out I started bawling. Like what? People think I'm inspiring? At that time I was NOT comfortable speaking about my disability. In fact I couldn't even read the speech my principal had to because I was a wreck and was far from confident in myself. Even halfway through college I was not comfortable mentioning my disability. It was like the BIG elephant in the room. It made me nervous and I thought people already see that I

A Whole New Decade

 It has been over a year since I have been on here but I thought that my upcoming birthday of turning 30 was fitting to write a post about this last decade of my life. Especially since this blog has been a part of my 20s. So I thought I would write a letter to my 20 year old self.. Hey girl, It is me, the older, stronger, more independent version of yourself. I know right now you are so excited because you just got your driver's license which is the first step to independence and knocking down a boundary that people said you could not break through. But girl that is just the start. You truly have no idea how God is going to move you to become such a successful independent woman. I know right now you are worried that no one is going to want to hire you for being a special education teacher. I can tell you it is not going to be easy. You are going to have to fight for your abilities but the right principal is going to see you and believe in you and give you that chance because here w