Skip to main content

One Year Since Graduation

It's hard to believe that exactly one year ago I graduated college with a BA in Liberal Studies. It amazes me how fast time flies. However, you need those one year marks to reflect back on what has occurred in the past year. You tend to think about what you thought was going to happen to now having the reality of what really happened.

What I thought was going to happen:
Last year as I walked across that stage at graduation I was walking into the unknown. I had an idea of what was going to happen. I had been accepted into the Moderate/Severe Credential program at APU upon which I was going to start in the fall. I planned that over summer I would interview for a summer job or becoming an aide in a school. Key word: thought

What actually happened:
Yes, I applied for jobs just like I said, probably to about 30 jobs. I got one job offer but turned it down because it was not a good fit. I got plenty of job interviews but no job. However, through this whole summer long job process  I came to realize a Moderate/Severe job was not for me and I switched to a Mild/Moderate credential. Then I started my credential and observed at many classrooms.

In January, I got placed at a school in Anaheim for my student teaching. I got placed in a Special Day Class (SDC) with 5th and 6th grade students. I was happy about the grade level but not happy about getting placed in a SDC because I again thought I wanted to be in a Resource classroom. I thought I wouldn't be a good fit because I would have to teach all day instead of being in small groups with students. However, this student teaching placement has turned out to be the biggest blessing and every day I come home with tears of joy from the love I feel from the students and the staff and how they are constantly encouraging my abilities and supporting me.

What I learned:
You know they always say don't worry about the future because God has the big plan. But let's be real I think the hardest thing is to not worry and release all control. I have grown so much in this last year since graduation in ways I never thought I would. I learned that being in a SDC is where I want to be and I would love to work with the older age group. I learned that I can do things I never thought I could. I spent a lot of times relying on God because quite frankly I didn't know what  else to do and look at where He has brought me. I am so beyond thankful for being able to dive into the unknown and face hurdles I never thought I would face but have led me to the person I am today.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does It Mean to Have CP?

You know this month is CP awareness month so I thought it would be fitting to write about what I feel everyday..So here we go When you wake up and get out of bed and think man my leg muscles are tight. When you walk into a store and you get the looks. The looks of curiosity, looks of wow that girl sure walks different, looks that make you feel like you just don't fit in. When you go to pay and you are struggling getting that money or credit card out and you start to blush because you know that cashier or the person behind you is thinking "that poor girl". When you are asked to repeat yourself 2-3 times because that person can't understand you and you just want to say never mind. When you have to buy new shoes more often than normal because you ruined the toe part of your shoe or you have a hole on the bottom due to walking toe-heel instead of heel-toe. When you have to use adaptive tools like a button hook. When you can't open a water bottle or you spill your dr...

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was tak...

So What Did You Do In Kenya?

Jambo!! I am made it back from a life changing trip in Kenya! I will be posting a few blog posts about stories that happened there but first I wanted to give you all an overview/timeline of what I did everyday over there July 7 - We landed at 2 in the morning! As we are all waiting to get our luggage we notice that no new luggage is coming out. Hmmmm what is wrong?? Yeah well all 90  of us lost  our luggage. Our flight out of LAX was delayed which made us have to rush to our next plane in Turkey. The airport personnel decided they did not have time to transfer our luggage to the next plan which ended up for us not getting our luggage. We got like an hour of sleep and then we had to wake up and start our day. We went to pangani which is the main school we worked at. We were greeted and had an opening ceremony from all of the kids. Then we got to take a social worker and walk around the Mathare Valley. We were able to go into one of the shanty's and pray over a sick girl ...