Skip to main content

hm do I help the disabled girl or not?

Okay so I have a little scenario for you that happened to me yesterday...

I am checking out at Target and I had a coupon where you have to spend a certain amount of money to get the discount. I was 99 cents short so i went and "tried" to get some mints. Now I don't know if you noticed before but sometimes those mints are in those cardboard boxes and are hard to get out. So I'm just trying to get the darn mints out and a lady in line just goes "oh let me get it for you".

*FREEZE*

I'm standing there like um okay thats really nice of that lady to offer the help but I kind of wanted to get it  myself (that's my strong will for ya).

This then brings me to the time where I was in South Africa and my new friend at the time asked me to go to coffee with her. Our conversation centered around the fact of I have seen people just jumping in to help you. Do you like that? or do you prefer to ask someone for help?

Well for those of you wondering the answer this is the way I see it.

Yes I can understand those individuals that just jump in to help. You are the kind of people that don't like to see people struggling so you just help them whether they ask you to or not. I get it. I see it with my students where I want to help them right away. It's hard to see someone struggling when you know you can help them and do it for them WAY faster than they could.

I also understand those who have not experienced those with disabilities that often so you just stand there staring not knowing what to do.

Well here it is. PLEASE don't just jump in and help (unless you really know me and know the main things I struggle with). I know it may be painful to watch someone struggle or take way longer to do something whereas you could get it done in an instant. But I also don't want you to just stand there and stare. You see it frustrates me more when you jump in to help because it makes me feel like I am incapable.

So instead just simply ask. Ask if I need help. I may say no and then try to get the darn mints but I'm just failing so I eventually ask you to help me. See living with a disability you learn to pick and choose what you are willing to try and what you are willing to ask help on. Sometimes it may be a battle I know i lose all the time (like carrying a full drink across the room or opening a water bottle) so right off the bat I ask for help.

Also if your not  comfortable asking me if I need help or are just staring their awkwardly then just walk away or go to pretend like your on your phone or something because nothing is worse than feeling those eyes press into you judging you if your going to be able to do the task or not.

So in the end I just want to say I get you and how your feeling and I don't blame you if you have done the following before but as for the way I live my hot mess of a disabled life I would prefer if you don't just jump in and if you ask before you do

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was taken away (

Acceptance

For those of you that follow me on Instagram or Facebook you have probably seen my yoga videos that I have been putting up. On the recent one I had a friend comment about how much she loved my openness and confidence. This really got me thinking about what a road I have been on to get me to where I am at today. Back when I was a senior in high school I got nominated the most inspirational senior. Now when you are nominated for this award you have to write a speech and make the speech in front of the whole school at an assembly. I remember when I first found out I started bawling. Like what? People think I'm inspiring? At that time I was NOT comfortable speaking about my disability. In fact I couldn't even read the speech my principal had to because I was a wreck and was far from confident in myself. Even halfway through college I was not comfortable mentioning my disability. It was like the BIG elephant in the room. It made me nervous and I thought people already see that I

A Whole New Decade

 It has been over a year since I have been on here but I thought that my upcoming birthday of turning 30 was fitting to write a post about this last decade of my life. Especially since this blog has been a part of my 20s. So I thought I would write a letter to my 20 year old self.. Hey girl, It is me, the older, stronger, more independent version of yourself. I know right now you are so excited because you just got your driver's license which is the first step to independence and knocking down a boundary that people said you could not break through. But girl that is just the start. You truly have no idea how God is going to move you to become such a successful independent woman. I know right now you are worried that no one is going to want to hire you for being a special education teacher. I can tell you it is not going to be easy. You are going to have to fight for your abilities but the right principal is going to see you and believe in you and give you that chance because here w