Skip to main content

To my little kiddos

Dear Class of 2016-2017,
Where did this year go? 
I remember the first time you walked into my classroom. You were scared, crying, uncertain. You didn't want to let go of your mom or dad's hand into the hand of a complete stranger. You didn't know how to write your name or cut on a straight line. You peed your pants, cried when you didn't like the food, laid down instead of sitting criss cross.

But me oh my. Look at you now. 
To tell you I am proud is an understatement. Yesterday at our awards ceremony you heard your name, walked over to your principal, got the award, and stood on stage proudly. My eyes welled up with tears as I realized how far you can come.

Yes, academically you have grown so much but socially and confidently you have shot for the stars. Now you are proud of yourself not just because I tell you to be but because you believe it. You are independent and you are going to accomplish great things.

As much as my heart is going to hurt saying goodbye when I put you on that final bus ride home to summer. I know I have given you this skills to be successful in the years to come. You, 12 little kiddos, have taken 12 pieces of my heart and I will always love you.


There is something about your second year of teaching. The first year you are just running around not having a clue what you are doing and just hoping to get through the day. You are just happy to get through one day at a time and happy to have a job.

Its not until your second year that you kind of know what your doing. Where you can somewhat relax and enjoy what you are doing. These kiddos have taught me so much. Sometimes you just have to laugh with them. Other times you embrace their hugs and tell them how important they are. Other times you forget about what you are supposed to teach and just have a fun conversation. I don't think I could ever put to words how over 180 days these 12 kiddos become a family. A forever thankful for this second year because yes we had hard days but we learned to embrace each other for our highs and lows <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was tak...

What Does It Mean to Have CP?

You know this month is CP awareness month so I thought it would be fitting to write about what I feel everyday..So here we go When you wake up and get out of bed and think man my leg muscles are tight. When you walk into a store and you get the looks. The looks of curiosity, looks of wow that girl sure walks different, looks that make you feel like you just don't fit in. When you go to pay and you are struggling getting that money or credit card out and you start to blush because you know that cashier or the person behind you is thinking "that poor girl". When you are asked to repeat yourself 2-3 times because that person can't understand you and you just want to say never mind. When you have to buy new shoes more often than normal because you ruined the toe part of your shoe or you have a hole on the bottom due to walking toe-heel instead of heel-toe. When you have to use adaptive tools like a button hook. When you can't open a water bottle or you spill your dr...

So What Did You Do In Kenya?

Jambo!! I am made it back from a life changing trip in Kenya! I will be posting a few blog posts about stories that happened there but first I wanted to give you all an overview/timeline of what I did everyday over there July 7 - We landed at 2 in the morning! As we are all waiting to get our luggage we notice that no new luggage is coming out. Hmmmm what is wrong?? Yeah well all 90  of us lost  our luggage. Our flight out of LAX was delayed which made us have to rush to our next plane in Turkey. The airport personnel decided they did not have time to transfer our luggage to the next plan which ended up for us not getting our luggage. We got like an hour of sleep and then we had to wake up and start our day. We went to pangani which is the main school we worked at. We were greeted and had an opening ceremony from all of the kids. Then we got to take a social worker and walk around the Mathare Valley. We were able to go into one of the shanty's and pray over a sick girl ...