Skip to main content

He's Normal, You're Not

This word I despise because people use it to describe someone and then use it to describe something that person is not. This word is offensive, degrades a person, and puts them into a category.
This word is...NORMAL

I have had multiple people throughout my years say this either to me or in regards to the differently abled population.

Oh my blood boils because I am so passionate about this word and how people use it in the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, people do not mean it negatively but I just wanted you to see this word from a not "normal" person because here is the thing everyone is normal.  

Let's think about this what did you just say? Everyone is normal. It's true we all have a unique characteristic about us. We all have something that someone out there would say  is weird. So for you to say I am not normal is offensive. For you to say any one of the individuals I teach or am friends with that have disabilities, or myself strikes a nerve in me. We are all individuals that have unique disabilities. Heck I even hate the word disabled and prefer the term differently abled. I consider myself normal, literally the only parts when I realize I have different abilities is when someone brings it up, looks at me differently, or when I am struggling with something but it is my goal to change how people view the word normal and how you use it.

God made us all with unique abilities and beautiful in His image and that is where I find the root of normal. We are all normal people in this world trying to find a path for ourselves, trying to figure out lives but we each do it a little differently. I, my friends, consider myself normal and it just might look a little different than your normal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was tak...

What Does It Mean to Have CP?

You know this month is CP awareness month so I thought it would be fitting to write about what I feel everyday..So here we go When you wake up and get out of bed and think man my leg muscles are tight. When you walk into a store and you get the looks. The looks of curiosity, looks of wow that girl sure walks different, looks that make you feel like you just don't fit in. When you go to pay and you are struggling getting that money or credit card out and you start to blush because you know that cashier or the person behind you is thinking "that poor girl". When you are asked to repeat yourself 2-3 times because that person can't understand you and you just want to say never mind. When you have to buy new shoes more often than normal because you ruined the toe part of your shoe or you have a hole on the bottom due to walking toe-heel instead of heel-toe. When you have to use adaptive tools like a button hook. When you can't open a water bottle or you spill your dr...

So What Did You Do In Kenya?

Jambo!! I am made it back from a life changing trip in Kenya! I will be posting a few blog posts about stories that happened there but first I wanted to give you all an overview/timeline of what I did everyday over there July 7 - We landed at 2 in the morning! As we are all waiting to get our luggage we notice that no new luggage is coming out. Hmmmm what is wrong?? Yeah well all 90  of us lost  our luggage. Our flight out of LAX was delayed which made us have to rush to our next plane in Turkey. The airport personnel decided they did not have time to transfer our luggage to the next plan which ended up for us not getting our luggage. We got like an hour of sleep and then we had to wake up and start our day. We went to pangani which is the main school we worked at. We were greeted and had an opening ceremony from all of the kids. Then we got to take a social worker and walk around the Mathare Valley. We were able to go into one of the shanty's and pray over a sick girl ...