Skip to main content

2017: I am ready to say goodbye to you

Yesterday I uploaded some photos on to Facebook and I noticed that the album for 2017 was titled 2017: i choose JOY. I couldn't help but laugh because this year was everything but that. If I'm honest, I did not really enjoy 2017. 2017 was one of the hardest years I have had in a while and I will be glad to put this year away. 2017 involved a lot of tears shed, from relationship dynamics changing, to rejection, to not knowing if I was following God's calling, to my current struggle of having a challenging class plus going through my masters.

I look back and I remember my journey leading up to going to Kenya. There were so many moments where I sat there and thought maybe I misread God's calling. Maybe I have too much on my plate and I can't put my all in to this trip but God provided and filled my doubts with answers that I definitely was supposed to go to Kenya and it gave me an experience to reach the broken disabled population over there and to experience God's love in a whole new way. Plus it gave me relationships that are so honest and I know that whatever I go through there will be someone from that team that will encourage and support  me.


I look back at when my Bible study group started and I had chosen the wrong Bible study book and a lot of members left. Then I started again inviting new girls to the group and now that group is my Monday night breath of fresh air. I know that I have not been the best Bible study leader this year due to all that is going on but they stick with me and we all support each other. They amaze me with their flexibility and constant support when I quite honestly don't know what I am doing.

Then I look at starting my masters program. When I got accepted I figured this will be awesome I am in my third year of teaching so for the most part I could focus on my masters classes. Well, little did I know I would get handed my most challenging group of students I have had yet. I am not going to lie since the beginning of this school year life has been stressful, rough and so unexpected. I have had weeks of little sleep and a lot of caffeine trying to survive the day.

However, I had a conversation the other day with a friend and she said you can never really be ready for the challenges. I think sometimes we think we have things all planned out and God says hold up you need to realize I am in control and in everything there is a reason. I think this recent season has taught me that you truly don't know how strong you are until being strong is the only you got. I think it is okay to question why things are happening as long as you then put it into God's hands. Lately, I do not know why all these challenges have been thrown at me and lately I break down and cry feeling defeated and unsure about what the future holds for me.

Therefore, my word for entering 2018 is hope. I know my God has me in the palm of His hands and He has guided me through many challenges throughout my life. I know I will look back at this time and see a reason for these challenges I am currently facing. Thus I want to look into 2018 as my year. As a year where I see hope for what is happening. Where I dream and hope these dreams come true. To never give up but to see the beauty of each day and that God hears my hopes and dreams and will fulfill them in his timing. So bring on 2018, I am ready to start fresh and clear and dive into a new year of unknown possibilities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was taken away (

Acceptance

For those of you that follow me on Instagram or Facebook you have probably seen my yoga videos that I have been putting up. On the recent one I had a friend comment about how much she loved my openness and confidence. This really got me thinking about what a road I have been on to get me to where I am at today. Back when I was a senior in high school I got nominated the most inspirational senior. Now when you are nominated for this award you have to write a speech and make the speech in front of the whole school at an assembly. I remember when I first found out I started bawling. Like what? People think I'm inspiring? At that time I was NOT comfortable speaking about my disability. In fact I couldn't even read the speech my principal had to because I was a wreck and was far from confident in myself. Even halfway through college I was not comfortable mentioning my disability. It was like the BIG elephant in the room. It made me nervous and I thought people already see that I

A Whole New Decade

 It has been over a year since I have been on here but I thought that my upcoming birthday of turning 30 was fitting to write a post about this last decade of my life. Especially since this blog has been a part of my 20s. So I thought I would write a letter to my 20 year old self.. Hey girl, It is me, the older, stronger, more independent version of yourself. I know right now you are so excited because you just got your driver's license which is the first step to independence and knocking down a boundary that people said you could not break through. But girl that is just the start. You truly have no idea how God is going to move you to become such a successful independent woman. I know right now you are worried that no one is going to want to hire you for being a special education teacher. I can tell you it is not going to be easy. You are going to have to fight for your abilities but the right principal is going to see you and believe in you and give you that chance because here w