Skip to main content

4 days left..

I decided to take a little break from writing my Masters paper and write a little reflection about this school year.

Here I am 4 days left of school (not Masters, work school). 4 days left of being a Kindergarten teacher. 4 days left of being in that little portable.

When I say this year was hard I am not exaggerating. These were the hardest 10 months I have ever had in this life so far. I honestly do not think I have cried so much before. I have cried from exhaustion, frustration, sadness, and just cried because I did not know what else to do. I knew when I signed up for my Masters that it was going to be a challenge but combine that with a challenging class equals a rough time.

It's where you wake up in the morning and look in the mirror to find the bags under your eyes even deeper. Where you drink more caffeine than you do water and you drink a Redbull at 5 pm and can still fall asleep at 10 pm because you are so exhausted. Where the question of how are you becomes almost laughable because you are so tired you cannot even put it to words. Where you feel guilty sitting and watching a tv show because you should be writing a paper.

HOWEVER
As hard as this year has been I have learned SO much. I have learned what an AMAZING support system I have from my family, friends, and coworkers who have come along side me and encouraged me. I am not a person who gives up but all of these individuals offered me the encouragement I needed to keep striving. I honestly am so overwhelmingly blessed by each of the individuals God has placed in my life because they listened to me, were okay if I could not be there for an event because of homework or stress, and knew how to cheer me up. So I thank you for all your support my dear friends and family.

I have also learned what an extraordinary God I serve. He gave me the strength when I thought I had none. He gave me the joy when I was so down. So many days He gave me to energy when I thought I had no energy left. Most importantly it was Him who has given me this amazing job and this amazing opportunity to further my education because as much as I felt so exhausted these 10 months I am truly grateful to be living out my dream of being a special education teacher and I am extremely grateful to be a person living with a disability and knocking down those perspectives that those who have a disability can't succeed. So in the midst of the tears I smile because everyday my God is good and everyday is a new opportunity to make a difference in this life and everyday holds value to honor and be a light for the Lord.

You truly never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have. So yes I have made mistakes and struggled a lot these last 10 months but I have accomplished another school year with my awesome 9 kiddos and have lived another school year living my dream.

So cheers to the last 4 days of being a Kindergarten teacher and cheers to the next adventure on being a 5/6 grade teacher, and cheers to 2 more weeks until I am a Master, and cheers to an amazing God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was taken away (

Acceptance

For those of you that follow me on Instagram or Facebook you have probably seen my yoga videos that I have been putting up. On the recent one I had a friend comment about how much she loved my openness and confidence. This really got me thinking about what a road I have been on to get me to where I am at today. Back when I was a senior in high school I got nominated the most inspirational senior. Now when you are nominated for this award you have to write a speech and make the speech in front of the whole school at an assembly. I remember when I first found out I started bawling. Like what? People think I'm inspiring? At that time I was NOT comfortable speaking about my disability. In fact I couldn't even read the speech my principal had to because I was a wreck and was far from confident in myself. Even halfway through college I was not comfortable mentioning my disability. It was like the BIG elephant in the room. It made me nervous and I thought people already see that I

A Whole New Decade

 It has been over a year since I have been on here but I thought that my upcoming birthday of turning 30 was fitting to write a post about this last decade of my life. Especially since this blog has been a part of my 20s. So I thought I would write a letter to my 20 year old self.. Hey girl, It is me, the older, stronger, more independent version of yourself. I know right now you are so excited because you just got your driver's license which is the first step to independence and knocking down a boundary that people said you could not break through. But girl that is just the start. You truly have no idea how God is going to move you to become such a successful independent woman. I know right now you are worried that no one is going to want to hire you for being a special education teacher. I can tell you it is not going to be easy. You are going to have to fight for your abilities but the right principal is going to see you and believe in you and give you that chance because here w