Skip to main content

2020- The Unexpected Good

Reflecting on 2020 is interesting. It seems like everyone is just wishing for this year to be over. Isn't that true for any hard time that we go through? We beg and wish for things to end when it gets bad. However, I tend to find that when things get rough that is where true learning begins and where you find how strong you are and how important it is to lean on your people and your God. So here we go..all the things I learned in 2020. 

January & February - life was going smoothly and I had a whole plan for this year (which thank God that plan fell through because God definitely had a way better plan)



March - I still remember reassuring my kids on Friday the 13th that I would see them in two weeks and they have nothing to worry about. ha! So here we go as far as change of plans. I became single this month as well. Oh but a big blessing this month was my beautiful nephew being born!



April -
This was an incredibly hard month as distance learning was not mandatory and I only had to hold office hours for 1 hour each day so therefore I only saw about 3 out of my 9 students. Talk about a complete change of teaching. I cried a lot this month. With being single and the aspects of my job changing and living alone. It was hard and I learned this month who my true friends were, how supportive my family is, and  how much you need to rely on God when your world has been changed upside down. 

May - Back in January I signed a 4 month lease that would end in June because I was planning on moving to Colorado in June (another plan that the Lord changed out for a much better one). Because that lease was short term it was much more expensive so therefore cue the stress on what to do now. I loved my apartment and the area. Through lots of conversations with my parents I decided it was time to look for a condo or townhouse so in this month I began the hunt for a house which is so scary being single and buying a house but God had the perfect timing.

June - I put an offer on my townhouse and got approved and began escrow and when I talk about God's timing there it is. I did not expect to find a house that quickly but the timing for my lease to end and for escrow to close were in sync and I knew this was the Lord's hand in this.



July - here began the renovation of my house and all of the stress that can cause. Between deciding what to do and the costs of it all is extremely stressful.

August - The month where if someone asked me how I was I would immediately burst into tears. Online teaching is triple the work and half the engagement. I felt like a first year teacher again trying to figure out how to teach online and get the kids to know how to work the online platform and how different it all is from the beginning of a typical school year and then dealing with construction in my house on top of that was making me a complete hot mess.



September - This was the month I went on the first date with my boyfriend Will and little did I know how he would completely sweep me off my feet (I think if you could handle dating through Covid times you can handle anything)

October - my oldest brother got married and it was the most beautiful wedding and now I have another sister in law and another nephew on the way! 

November & December - thank goodness for the holidays because those are what got me through. Yes the holidays were completely different this year but we still got to celebrate with the people who mean the world. 

if 2020 has taught me anything it has taught me how to be strong and how the Lord always hears your cries. I was completely devastated going through a break up but then Lord knew the desires of my heart and has brought me a man that loves Jesus, makes me feel beautiful, takes me on creative covid friendly dates, and shows up for me in ways I never even knew I needed. I think you have to go through the bad to see how beautiful the good is and to see what you really need. If I would have moved to Colorado I would have missed out on the bonding time with my nephew and on the family gatherings we had because we only could hang out with family. I actually love the year of 2020 because it was a year of unexpected changes but the best blessings I never even knew I would say thank you for. So thank you Lord for bringing me a beautiful house, a challenging and rewarding job, an amazing man, a chaotic and loving family, and for friends that are there when you need them the most. Thank you for taking me out of my comfort zone and challenging me to be a better woman. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was tak...

What Does It Mean to Have CP?

You know this month is CP awareness month so I thought it would be fitting to write about what I feel everyday..So here we go When you wake up and get out of bed and think man my leg muscles are tight. When you walk into a store and you get the looks. The looks of curiosity, looks of wow that girl sure walks different, looks that make you feel like you just don't fit in. When you go to pay and you are struggling getting that money or credit card out and you start to blush because you know that cashier or the person behind you is thinking "that poor girl". When you are asked to repeat yourself 2-3 times because that person can't understand you and you just want to say never mind. When you have to buy new shoes more often than normal because you ruined the toe part of your shoe or you have a hole on the bottom due to walking toe-heel instead of heel-toe. When you have to use adaptive tools like a button hook. When you can't open a water bottle or you spill your dr...

So What Did You Do In Kenya?

Jambo!! I am made it back from a life changing trip in Kenya! I will be posting a few blog posts about stories that happened there but first I wanted to give you all an overview/timeline of what I did everyday over there July 7 - We landed at 2 in the morning! As we are all waiting to get our luggage we notice that no new luggage is coming out. Hmmmm what is wrong?? Yeah well all 90  of us lost  our luggage. Our flight out of LAX was delayed which made us have to rush to our next plane in Turkey. The airport personnel decided they did not have time to transfer our luggage to the next plan which ended up for us not getting our luggage. We got like an hour of sleep and then we had to wake up and start our day. We went to pangani which is the main school we worked at. We were greeted and had an opening ceremony from all of the kids. Then we got to take a social worker and walk around the Mathare Valley. We were able to go into one of the shanty's and pray over a sick girl ...