Skip to main content

2020- The Unexpected Good

Reflecting on 2020 is interesting. It seems like everyone is just wishing for this year to be over. Isn't that true for any hard time that we go through? We beg and wish for things to end when it gets bad. However, I tend to find that when things get rough that is where true learning begins and where you find how strong you are and how important it is to lean on your people and your God. So here we go..all the things I learned in 2020. 

January & February - life was going smoothly and I had a whole plan for this year (which thank God that plan fell through because God definitely had a way better plan)



March - I still remember reassuring my kids on Friday the 13th that I would see them in two weeks and they have nothing to worry about. ha! So here we go as far as change of plans. I became single this month as well. Oh but a big blessing this month was my beautiful nephew being born!



April -
This was an incredibly hard month as distance learning was not mandatory and I only had to hold office hours for 1 hour each day so therefore I only saw about 3 out of my 9 students. Talk about a complete change of teaching. I cried a lot this month. With being single and the aspects of my job changing and living alone. It was hard and I learned this month who my true friends were, how supportive my family is, and  how much you need to rely on God when your world has been changed upside down. 

May - Back in January I signed a 4 month lease that would end in June because I was planning on moving to Colorado in June (another plan that the Lord changed out for a much better one). Because that lease was short term it was much more expensive so therefore cue the stress on what to do now. I loved my apartment and the area. Through lots of conversations with my parents I decided it was time to look for a condo or townhouse so in this month I began the hunt for a house which is so scary being single and buying a house but God had the perfect timing.

June - I put an offer on my townhouse and got approved and began escrow and when I talk about God's timing there it is. I did not expect to find a house that quickly but the timing for my lease to end and for escrow to close were in sync and I knew this was the Lord's hand in this.



July - here began the renovation of my house and all of the stress that can cause. Between deciding what to do and the costs of it all is extremely stressful.

August - The month where if someone asked me how I was I would immediately burst into tears. Online teaching is triple the work and half the engagement. I felt like a first year teacher again trying to figure out how to teach online and get the kids to know how to work the online platform and how different it all is from the beginning of a typical school year and then dealing with construction in my house on top of that was making me a complete hot mess.



September - This was the month I went on the first date with my boyfriend Will and little did I know how he would completely sweep me off my feet (I think if you could handle dating through Covid times you can handle anything)

October - my oldest brother got married and it was the most beautiful wedding and now I have another sister in law and another nephew on the way! 

November & December - thank goodness for the holidays because those are what got me through. Yes the holidays were completely different this year but we still got to celebrate with the people who mean the world. 

if 2020 has taught me anything it has taught me how to be strong and how the Lord always hears your cries. I was completely devastated going through a break up but then Lord knew the desires of my heart and has brought me a man that loves Jesus, makes me feel beautiful, takes me on creative covid friendly dates, and shows up for me in ways I never even knew I needed. I think you have to go through the bad to see how beautiful the good is and to see what you really need. If I would have moved to Colorado I would have missed out on the bonding time with my nephew and on the family gatherings we had because we only could hang out with family. I actually love the year of 2020 because it was a year of unexpected changes but the best blessings I never even knew I would say thank you for. So thank you Lord for bringing me a beautiful house, a challenging and rewarding job, an amazing man, a chaotic and loving family, and for friends that are there when you need them the most. Thank you for taking me out of my comfort zone and challenging me to be a better woman. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was taken away (

Acceptance

For those of you that follow me on Instagram or Facebook you have probably seen my yoga videos that I have been putting up. On the recent one I had a friend comment about how much she loved my openness and confidence. This really got me thinking about what a road I have been on to get me to where I am at today. Back when I was a senior in high school I got nominated the most inspirational senior. Now when you are nominated for this award you have to write a speech and make the speech in front of the whole school at an assembly. I remember when I first found out I started bawling. Like what? People think I'm inspiring? At that time I was NOT comfortable speaking about my disability. In fact I couldn't even read the speech my principal had to because I was a wreck and was far from confident in myself. Even halfway through college I was not comfortable mentioning my disability. It was like the BIG elephant in the room. It made me nervous and I thought people already see that I

A Whole New Decade

 It has been over a year since I have been on here but I thought that my upcoming birthday of turning 30 was fitting to write a post about this last decade of my life. Especially since this blog has been a part of my 20s. So I thought I would write a letter to my 20 year old self.. Hey girl, It is me, the older, stronger, more independent version of yourself. I know right now you are so excited because you just got your driver's license which is the first step to independence and knocking down a boundary that people said you could not break through. But girl that is just the start. You truly have no idea how God is going to move you to become such a successful independent woman. I know right now you are worried that no one is going to want to hire you for being a special education teacher. I can tell you it is not going to be easy. You are going to have to fight for your abilities but the right principal is going to see you and believe in you and give you that chance because here w