Skip to main content

Doctor Doctor Something is Not Right

 Hello my readers, sorry I have not been posting much but when you are a virtual teacher you need the break from the computer when you can get it. But recently something happened that I needed to stress.

In October I returned to my childhood orthopedic doctor because finding a new doctor that really knows about CP is actually extremely hard and I needed a refill of my medications so I decided to return to my old one. The appointment went well and he told me that I am still doing great and no other recommendations except to increase my vitamin D (gotta keep those strong bones). Well in November I got a refill of my one medication. I got home and opened the bottle and realized wow these pills are a lot bigger than my previous ones. I then read on the label they were 5 mg instead of my usual 2 mg (which I take twice a day which therefore is roughly 5 mg for the whole day not 5 mg for one dose). I immediately did not feel comfortable so I figured well I will just cut the pill in half. Then one day I woke up extra shaky so I figured why not just take the whole 5 mg pill...


Yeah not a good choice..All day my eyes were kind of burning and didn't feel good and I kept being soooo thirsty. By 3 pm my eyes took a turn for the worst. They became so blurry I could barely read the texts on my phone and it was making me really nauseous to even look at a screen. (cue my worst thinking side omg do I have cancer, is blurry vision a symptom of cover? you know all the irrational thoughts haha). I laid down to close my eyes for 10 minutes and it somewhat helped. Then my boyfriend came over and I told him how I was feeling and he began to tell me that I am not walking or talking like I usually do. **major scary moment for me...


We were discussing well what would trigger this and the only thing I did differently that day was change the take the whole 5 mg pill. So then I googled the side effects for that pill and the two most common were..blurry vision and dry mouth..two of the things I was experiencing. I know this pill has to be takin with food so we went out to dinner and let's be real I ate a lot of food but by the end of the meal I was feeling so much better and my symptoms had just about gone away.


Therefore the next day I called my doctor and exclaimed that this dosage was way incorrect and I cannot be taking this. I went back to cutting my pills in half immediately. Through some back and forth conversations he suggested I just take the one 5 mg pill at night because it lasts a long time in the body. I am going to test it out this weekend as I wanted to err on the side of caution where I did not want to get side effects during a work day so I will keep you posted. 


I tell you this because it is important to listen to your gut. Just like I knew right away to cut the pills in half but took a chance to believe no the 5 mg whole pill would be okay and it wasn't. Doctors do make mistakes and it is okay to believe your body over what the doctor says. It was a very scary day and I am thankful that my boyfriend, Will, was there to help me through it. Just another struggle in the life of CP but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does It Mean to Have CP?

You know this month is CP awareness month so I thought it would be fitting to write about what I feel everyday..So here we go When you wake up and get out of bed and think man my leg muscles are tight. When you walk into a store and you get the looks. The looks of curiosity, looks of wow that girl sure walks different, looks that make you feel like you just don't fit in. When you go to pay and you are struggling getting that money or credit card out and you start to blush because you know that cashier or the person behind you is thinking "that poor girl". When you are asked to repeat yourself 2-3 times because that person can't understand you and you just want to say never mind. When you have to buy new shoes more often than normal because you ruined the toe part of your shoe or you have a hole on the bottom due to walking toe-heel instead of heel-toe. When you have to use adaptive tools like a button hook. When you can't open a water bottle or you spill your dr...

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was tak...

So What Did You Do In Kenya?

Jambo!! I am made it back from a life changing trip in Kenya! I will be posting a few blog posts about stories that happened there but first I wanted to give you all an overview/timeline of what I did everyday over there July 7 - We landed at 2 in the morning! As we are all waiting to get our luggage we notice that no new luggage is coming out. Hmmmm what is wrong?? Yeah well all 90  of us lost  our luggage. Our flight out of LAX was delayed which made us have to rush to our next plane in Turkey. The airport personnel decided they did not have time to transfer our luggage to the next plan which ended up for us not getting our luggage. We got like an hour of sleep and then we had to wake up and start our day. We went to pangani which is the main school we worked at. We were greeted and had an opening ceremony from all of the kids. Then we got to take a social worker and walk around the Mathare Valley. We were able to go into one of the shanty's and pray over a sick girl ...