Skip to main content

Never Stop Dreaming

Today as I sat in the office of my academic advisor registering for my classes for my MASTERS of Special Education I could not help but just realize how the Lord has walked beside me and clung to me saying you can make it my dear.

As I walked away from my appointment I could not help but feel emotional. I have been fighting for my rights in education to be treated like a "normal" human being my whole life. I have so many people tell me I am not going to make it. They judge me for my outside and assume I am incapable mentally.

I asked my mom later did you ever expect me to be going for my Masters? She answered me honestly and said when you were little no I did not but since you have been in your 20s it doesn't surprise me.

My advisor asked me today why I wanted to be a special education teacher and this is what I told him.

Hope
Individuals with different abilities need hope, love, and encouragement that they can become confident, independent, and beautiful people if they try and push themselves. That is why I love teaching kindergarten because I am the kiddos first experience of an adult with a disability that went through a hard road but is successful now. 

I get to give hope to the parents. Yes, parents, I see you. I see the hurt in your eyes when I first meet you because you have a child that is labeled. But I can give you hope that your child can be independent and successful if you push them. 


So as I enter this new phase of getting my Masters I am reminded that through God anything is possible. He alone has given me the strength to keep going when the negative comments and perspectives get in the way. Did I expect to be 25 going into my 3rd year of teaching and doing my Masters...no. I knew I wanted to go down that path but I didn't know how or when but God did and I am so awestruck by how amazing our God is. 

Never give up on your dreams my friends. Keep chasing them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was tak...

So What Did You Do In Kenya?

Jambo!! I am made it back from a life changing trip in Kenya! I will be posting a few blog posts about stories that happened there but first I wanted to give you all an overview/timeline of what I did everyday over there July 7 - We landed at 2 in the morning! As we are all waiting to get our luggage we notice that no new luggage is coming out. Hmmmm what is wrong?? Yeah well all 90  of us lost  our luggage. Our flight out of LAX was delayed which made us have to rush to our next plane in Turkey. The airport personnel decided they did not have time to transfer our luggage to the next plan which ended up for us not getting our luggage. We got like an hour of sleep and then we had to wake up and start our day. We went to pangani which is the main school we worked at. We were greeted and had an opening ceremony from all of the kids. Then we got to take a social worker and walk around the Mathare Valley. We were able to go into one of the shanty's and pray over a sick girl ...

What Does It Mean to Have CP?

You know this month is CP awareness month so I thought it would be fitting to write about what I feel everyday..So here we go When you wake up and get out of bed and think man my leg muscles are tight. When you walk into a store and you get the looks. The looks of curiosity, looks of wow that girl sure walks different, looks that make you feel like you just don't fit in. When you go to pay and you are struggling getting that money or credit card out and you start to blush because you know that cashier or the person behind you is thinking "that poor girl". When you are asked to repeat yourself 2-3 times because that person can't understand you and you just want to say never mind. When you have to buy new shoes more often than normal because you ruined the toe part of your shoe or you have a hole on the bottom due to walking toe-heel instead of heel-toe. When you have to use adaptive tools like a button hook. When you can't open a water bottle or you spill your dr...