Skip to main content

Just How Independent Are You?

Since it is CP awareness month I am going to try to be more intentional on opening your eyes to my world. Recently I got a question from someone that asked me so what do you usually need help with? Like do you do your own hair? Do you cook? So here we go...

The Lord has truly blessed me to the fact that I am such an independent person living with CP. When this person asked me if I do my own hair it struck a soft spot because I remember being younger and wondering if I would be able to do my hair on my own. I absolutely can. I curl it, straighten it, do messy buns all of it. I do my makeup and everything.

So you may be thinking okay okay what do you struggle with..

Buttons..especially those tiny ones. Oh boy they are a challenge but you know what is awesome they have this item called a button hook that I have used since I was five years old. It literally is the best adaptive tool and allows me to button any size button.

Cutting.. Oh you want me to hold a fork and a knife to eat? Haha oh no I am a mess if I do that. The food item would have to be pretty tender or soft for me to use a regular knife so here is another adaptive tool I use which is called a rocking knife. It has a handle on top and the blade is in a u shape so you just rock it back and forth to cut your food. Its pretty awesome and has saved me from having to ask someone to cut my food.

Twisting caps.. If you are my dear friend you know how I really hate water bottle caps, soda caps, pasta sauce lids, all to those items where you have to twist the top off. I just don't have the ability to squeeze and twist hard. I mean don't get me wrong I try but most of the time I end up asking someone. My dad just found a device that will twist off any cap so we shall see if it works and if it does oh boy that will make a difference in my life.

Scooping food on to my plate.. I mean lets be real if you ask me to hold something, balance it, and pick up something else it is not going to go well. I mean I can do it but it is probably easier if someone else helped me.

But other than those few things I am pretty much doing everything else by myself. Thank goodness for people creating these adaptive tools that allow me to do the things that I struggle with. I don't know how the Lord has blessed me with such independence but I am utterly grateful. Only He has given me the strength to never give up and to always try. Even if I try and fail I find a way to make it possible. The Lord has given me the strength and determination. Yes things can be frustrating but there is always a way. Because people with CP are warriors and we will always fight for our needs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does It Mean to Have CP?

You know this month is CP awareness month so I thought it would be fitting to write about what I feel everyday..So here we go When you wake up and get out of bed and think man my leg muscles are tight. When you walk into a store and you get the looks. The looks of curiosity, looks of wow that girl sure walks different, looks that make you feel like you just don't fit in. When you go to pay and you are struggling getting that money or credit card out and you start to blush because you know that cashier or the person behind you is thinking "that poor girl". When you are asked to repeat yourself 2-3 times because that person can't understand you and you just want to say never mind. When you have to buy new shoes more often than normal because you ruined the toe part of your shoe or you have a hole on the bottom due to walking toe-heel instead of heel-toe. When you have to use adaptive tools like a button hook. When you can't open a water bottle or you spill your dr...

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was tak...

So What Did You Do In Kenya?

Jambo!! I am made it back from a life changing trip in Kenya! I will be posting a few blog posts about stories that happened there but first I wanted to give you all an overview/timeline of what I did everyday over there July 7 - We landed at 2 in the morning! As we are all waiting to get our luggage we notice that no new luggage is coming out. Hmmmm what is wrong?? Yeah well all 90  of us lost  our luggage. Our flight out of LAX was delayed which made us have to rush to our next plane in Turkey. The airport personnel decided they did not have time to transfer our luggage to the next plan which ended up for us not getting our luggage. We got like an hour of sleep and then we had to wake up and start our day. We went to pangani which is the main school we worked at. We were greeted and had an opening ceremony from all of the kids. Then we got to take a social worker and walk around the Mathare Valley. We were able to go into one of the shanty's and pray over a sick girl ...