Skip to main content

So What Did You Do In Kenya?

Jambo!!

I am made it back from a life changing trip in Kenya! I will be posting a few blog posts about stories that happened there but first I wanted to give you all an overview/timeline of what I did everyday over there

July 7 - We landed at 2 in the morning! As we are all waiting to get our luggage we notice that no new luggage is coming out. Hmmmm what is wrong?? Yeah well all 90 of us lost our luggage. Our flight out of LAX was delayed which made us have to rush to our next plane in Turkey. The airport personnel decided they did not have time to transfer our luggage to the next plan which ended up for us not getting our luggage.


We got like an hour of sleep and then we had to wake up and start our day. We went to pangani which is the main school we worked at. We were greeted and had an opening ceremony from all of the kids. Then we got to take a social worker and walk around the Mathare Valley. We were able to go into one of the shanty's and pray over a sick girl and her cousin that ended up having CP like me! It was an incredible first experience!

July 8 - we went to Joska, an all female high school boarding school. We again got welcomed by an awesome opening ceremony. We then did a presentation for them called Days for Girls which talks about the woman's menstrual cycle and we got to pass out reusable period pads for all the girls!! We also got to pass out hamburgers for lunch to the local elementary school and have fellowship with the high school girls.


July 9 - church. We went to a tiny church located in the slums. The pastor was very passionate and all of the church members got to receive a bag of food products (flour, sugar, rice, porridge, soap). We then went to a local flea market, which was quite the experience. A lot of bargaining went on haha.



July 10 - home visits! We had 3 social workers and were able to go into 5 different shanty's and bring them food bags and solar lights. The cool thing about the solar lights is they last long and it charges your phone which could be made into a business for the individuals by charging money for the locals to charge their phone. We got to pray over the families and just show them God's love.


That night we went to an Ethiopian restaurant. You can only eat with your hands and they put the food all on one platter. I tried goat for the first time which was kind of chewy if I'm honest.

July 11 - we got to fly out to Turkana which is where half of our big team went for the week. It is quite different from Mathare Valley. They had straw huts, more desert like, and a lot more tribal people. I unfortunately was severely dehydrated from the day before and so I had to drink 10 bottles of water and hang out inside at the school all day but the rest of my team got to work on building a house for one  of the local families.

July 12 - took the 7th graders on a safari! They had to take notes on what the saw for their class and it was so awesome to see their reactions to all the different animals. We got to see lions eating a wild buffalo!


July 13 - my favorite day of the whole trip! God works in beautiful ways and he gave me the opportunity to go into 8 different homes that had individuals with disabilities. I will be posting more about this later but it was so awesome to inspire them to not be ashamed of their disability and to give them hope that their child can be loved and successful.


July 14 - closing ceremony at the school and a celebration dinner for all the staff that works at the school and with the Missions of Hope organization.


July 15 - woman's conference day for 500 local woman. I got to share my testimony and bring light to being a successful disabled individual (more about this later)


July 16 - last day in Kenya. Got to go to a different bigger church and two of our team members got to speak. Then we put on a BBQ for the team members who sponsor a child there. They got to eat and spend time with their sponsor child and his/her family!


July 17 - left at 1 am to go to the airport and start our 30 hour adventure back home!

As you can see our trip was packed to the brim and I had so many amazing moments in this beautiful country. I met incredible individuals and got to see the joy the people possess even though their circumstances are rough. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle is Real with Adult CP

 Here is something that frustrates me about the state of California. Basically since I was diagnosed with CP I went to CCS (California Children Services). They provide free occupational and physical therapy until your 21. This is so awesome and I would go twice a week until high school where I would do more check ins because I was becoming more independent and doing so well I did not need it as much. Now I know what your thinking...um Nicole why are you frustrated with this? Well did you noticed I bolded until your 21? This is the issue. Once you turn 21 they are like bye bye good luck with the rest of your life. It has been difficult because you get dropped off and on your own without any recommendations of where to go next in life.  Most of you know that hot yoga has been a life saver for me and has basically become my physical therapy and it has been great until...covid. Due to the shutdown it also caused a shut down of my body because my physical therapy (aka yoga) was taken away (

Acceptance

For those of you that follow me on Instagram or Facebook you have probably seen my yoga videos that I have been putting up. On the recent one I had a friend comment about how much she loved my openness and confidence. This really got me thinking about what a road I have been on to get me to where I am at today. Back when I was a senior in high school I got nominated the most inspirational senior. Now when you are nominated for this award you have to write a speech and make the speech in front of the whole school at an assembly. I remember when I first found out I started bawling. Like what? People think I'm inspiring? At that time I was NOT comfortable speaking about my disability. In fact I couldn't even read the speech my principal had to because I was a wreck and was far from confident in myself. Even halfway through college I was not comfortable mentioning my disability. It was like the BIG elephant in the room. It made me nervous and I thought people already see that I

A Whole New Decade

 It has been over a year since I have been on here but I thought that my upcoming birthday of turning 30 was fitting to write a post about this last decade of my life. Especially since this blog has been a part of my 20s. So I thought I would write a letter to my 20 year old self.. Hey girl, It is me, the older, stronger, more independent version of yourself. I know right now you are so excited because you just got your driver's license which is the first step to independence and knocking down a boundary that people said you could not break through. But girl that is just the start. You truly have no idea how God is going to move you to become such a successful independent woman. I know right now you are worried that no one is going to want to hire you for being a special education teacher. I can tell you it is not going to be easy. You are going to have to fight for your abilities but the right principal is going to see you and believe in you and give you that chance because here w